Establishing websites and then selling them can prove quite profitable. However, in order to obtain the highest fee possible, you need to convince buyers that they are purchasing a valuable product. You cannot expect to receive huge offers for an empty website with zero traffic.
Therefore, you should take time and effort to increase your siteâ€™s value.
To do this, you will need to follow the advice below.
SEO Guide No1 Tip: Use reliable software tools
There are numerous software tools you can use, but the largest search engine has two of the best:
As the name implies, Google Analytics provides vital information on how people perceive your site and how you can improve these perceptions.
Meanwhile, you can submit a sitemap through Googleâ€™s Search Console. This will let Google and other search engines know about your site. It can also detect alert errors so you can fix them without delay.
Conduct keyword researchÂ
Using the same words or phrases used by online searchers can help improve your standing in the search engine results pages. According to this advice, you should consider the value of the keywords based on user intent. For example, you should work out the most popular terms searchers will use when they are:
- Simply browsing
- Looking for good deals
- Comparing the prices of various sellers
Once you understand their search queries, you can incorporate them as keywords for your siteâ€™s content. If you want to run ads, you can use Googleâ€™s AdWords Keyword Planner.
Perform page optimisation
To optimise your website and all its pages, you should:
- Use only one H1 tag per page â€“ They denote the main headline and they often include the main keyword for that page.
- Ensure that the page title uses fewer than 60 characters â€“ In this way, readers will be able to see the entire title in their searches. Also, as Google often displays the first 50 to 60 characters, the primary keyword should be placed at the start of the page title. Furthermore, instead of creating titles that resemble a complete sentence or even an editorial, why not make them look like a listing? You could use special characters, such as brackets or dashes, to focus on the essential information.
- Ensure your meta descriptions are accurate with fewer than 155 characters â€“ Moz research discovered that Google removes meta descriptions once they go over 155â€“160 characters. Therefore, make sure you include your best pitch and main keywords at the beginning while keeping it under 155 characters.
- Make the page titles engaging and easy to read â€“ The title should be enticing, understandable and appealing to your readers.
- Always include keywords in the URL page â€“ Remember, page titles automatically become the URL so keep it short and understandable, and remove any filler words.
Links on your website can increase your ranking factor. Think of links as proof of trustworthiness among search engines. You should think about building links by partnering with publishers or other sites within your industry. You could even share valuable content. For example, you could introduce yourself to a blogger who reviews your products. After the introduction, you could help each other by sharing the benefits of your goods.
You may also wish to check the competition to see how they strategise their link building. There are tools you can use for your analysis, such as Ahrefâ€™s Site Explorer. You can use this tool to discover your competitorsâ€™ websites and web page links. It can also provide you with insight into how your site can earn links and mentions.
Create relevant content
A comprehensive content strategy can take months to plan and execute. However, there are simple but effective ways of filling your site:
- Find out what questions your prospective customers are likely to ask â€“ For example, although they may be aware of your products (e.g., soap), they may not understand why some are more expensive than others. Itâ€™s up to you to answer this type of query.
- Provide more product value to your customers â€“ If you sell food products, consider posting a few simple recipes on your website. This approach can open the eyes of your buyers to the various ways your products can be used.
- Find out which keywords often match a customerâ€™s search queries â€“ Once you incorporate these keywords into the search terms, users are more likely to find your website.
If you decide to write a blog post or an informational page, consider limiting the content to 500 words. Most readers want to obtain information quickly, so make sure your articles are short but clear. However, there are exceptions. You can go over the word limit if the question requires an answer that will be more than 500 words long.
Build your reputation
Similar to any other business, you must protect your websiteâ€™s reputation. If possible, establish your site on social media platforms, including:
If you want to create a well-known brand, you should register its name on suitable social media platforms. This can help protect your brand and its identity while making it easy for people to locate the site online. You can even link the social accounts to your store. However, remember to focus on the channels that can guarantee you maximum customer reach.
Other factors worth considering
Your website needs to look good on mobile devices as many people prefer to use their smartphones for browsing these days. If your content is not readable on a mobile phone, make sure you create a mobile version immediately.
Loading speed is another ranking criterion that you should never ignore. Consider using tools such as PageSpeed Insights to find out how to speed up your siteâ€™s desktop and mobile versions.
SEO Guide – Conclusion
Creating a website is relatively straightforward. However, selling it for a hefty profit may take some time and effort. Remember, most people will pay the price you set if they think your website is worth that amount. SEO strategies should be your first port of call in terms of adding value to your website. Begin by using appropriate tools that can assist you in keyword research, page optimisation and content creation. Make sure you explore every possible avenue that could help your site reach the top of the search engine results pages. You may also consider consulting a knowledgeable SEO expert for help.
Chris Anderson is an online marketing expert with 15 yearsâ€™ experience in Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Google Ads campaigns. As the founder of Springhill Marketing, he has helped various companies drive up their website traffic via increased sales and enquiries. His company is also a Google Partner, specialising in SEO and Google Ads Services.